London Marathon Events Ltd, in association with the British Athletics Writers Association, is offering a paid Intern position.
It will be in London Marathon’s Communications team for the four-week period from Monday 3 to Friday 29 April 2016.
This a unique opportunity for a young sports writer with a keen interest in athletics to gain invaluable experience by working in the press office in the build up to the 2016 Virgin Money London Marathon and during Raceweek.
During the four week internship, the successful candidate will also be mentored by members of BAWA, including athletics correspondents on national newspapers.
You will work across a number of different areas including:
• Interviewing and writing stories about: elite runners, celebrities, human interest stories, Guinness World Record holders
• Writing news stories for the website and other channels
• Writing press releases
• Working as part of the content team during Raceweek
• Attending press conferences and writing reports for the website and other channels
• Getting quick quotes from runners after the Finish on Race day
Skills and experience
• You will have a NCTJ or equivalent qualification/experience
• You will have some experience of working in a news environment or for a publication
• You will have an interest in athletics and be able to convey the uniqueness of the London Marathon
• You will have a fluent, lucid writing style and display meticulous attention to detail in spelling, grammar and tone
• You will have strong interpersonal and communication skills
• You will be a team player with a positive outlook and the ability to stay calm under pressure in a fast-changing environment
• You will be willing to muck in at events as required – this could mean anything from cleaning tables and filling the coffee urn in the media centre to escorting an Olympic champion through the mixed zone
You will be expected to work some evenings and weekends when necessary around the Virgin Money London Marathon on Sunday 24 April.
The successful candidate will be paid the London Living Wage for the period of the internship. All meals will be covered during Raceweek.
Please send your CV, two samples of your writing – of which one should comprise a report, with quotes, on an athletics race/event of your choosing (YouTube clips and flash quotes sites are available) – plus a covering letter explaining why you’re the right person for the job, to: email@example.com
Closing date for applications: Sunday 13 March 2016
For more information on the Virgin Money London Marathon, click here
Main pic, courtesy LM.