London Marathon Events are looking for a talented Writer to join the small editorial team in their busy publishing department (print and digital).
LMEL organises some of the biggest and best mass-participation sports events in the UK, including the Virgin Money London Marathon, the Prudential RideLondon festival of cycling and the London 10,000.
We are a not-for-profit organisation and any surplus we make is given to The London Marathon Charitable Trust to improve sports and recreation in the areas where we organise events.
This position will work across our magazines, websites, e-newsletters and event information collateral, and key responsibilities will include:
Putting together e-newsletters to event participants – who range from families that have signed up to take part in Prudential RideLondon FreeCycle to ‘good-for-age’ marathon runners.
Managing our expanding event e-newsletter schedule and liaising with sponsors and partners to ensure their content and images are received on time.
Writing service features on training, nutrition, gear etc. across a variety of disciplines to ensure our event participants have the necessary information to prepare well for our events. You will interview pro athletes and coaches and liaise with charities and participants to create compelling human-interest stories ahead of our events. You will also work with colleagues from The London Marathon Charitable Trust to deliver content.
Leading on the production of specific event information to ensure participants receive simple, clear instructions ahead of an event.
Sub-editing operational collateral, such as road closure leaflets, event signage, race manuals, volunteer handbooks etc.
Uploading content onto our event websites.
Working as part of the Press Office team at all LMEL events, writing press releases and news stories and interviewing pro athletes and participants.
Your skills and experience
The ideal candidate will:
- have a minimum of two years’ experience in a publishing environment (print ordigital) or similar.
- have a fluent, lucid writing style and display meticulous attention to detail inspelling, grammar and tone.
- combine excellent editorial skills with a sound understanding of writing for theweb, newsletters and magazines. A working knowledge of InDesign isessential.
- have a good general knowledge of – and keen interest in – running, cycling andswimming.
- be a self-starter who is detail-orientated and highly organised.
- have strong interpersonal and communication skills and proven experience inproject and time management.
- be a team player with a positive outlook and the ability to stay calm underpressure in a fast-changing environment.
- be willing to muck in at events as required – this could mean anything fromescorting VIPs to a presentation ceremony to putting up signage on barriers before an event.You will also be expected to work some evenings and weekends when necessary at our events, which include the Virgin Money London Marathon, the Prudential RideLondon festival of cycling, the adidas Silverstone Half Marathon, the Westminster Mile, the London 10,000, Swim Serpentine and the Standard Chartered Great City Race.
As part of the online application process, you will be prompted for the following:
- A covering letter highlighting the reasons you are the right person for the job
- Your CV
- Two examples of your writing
- Your salary expectationsPlease apply through the following link:https://londonmarathoneventsltd.peoplehr.net/Pages/JobBoard/Opening.aspx?v=c61 9a449-e416-4a13-8f8b-8529bffd883e
The closing date for applications is Sunday 6th November 2016